- Step One: Research: A companion animal as a member of your family is a wonderful and enriching experience. They’re loyal, lovable, furry best friends and can bring tons of joy to your life. However, the decision to add a new dog or cat to your family should not be taken lightly- it is a lifetime commitment and before you adopt a new pet, you should do your research and be fully aware of what is involved in pet ownership.
- Step Two: Application: The adoption application is your opportunity to tell us all about yourself! We would like to know as much as we can to determine which pets would be a good match with your home, family, and lifestyle. Remember, we are a completely foster-based rescue group, so each of our adoptable animals lives in a temporary foster home. As such, we know all the little nuances and details of the pet’s behavior, personality, habits, etc. Decisions about application approval are at the sole discretion of MMDR. We are committed to finding our pets a successful match in a forever home. Applications are reviewed in the order they are received. It may take up to 5 days to review your application, we greatly appreciate your patience. This is the first step to set up a meet and greet! We document all of our correspondences via email to ensure our process is followed and runs smoothly. ***Please be sure to contact your veterinarian’s office and give them permission to discuss your pets, as we cannot move forward with processing the application until this step has been completed.***
- Step Three: Application Review: Our sole purpose is to find the best match for the animals that fall under our care. We take time to carefully review all applications, complete background checks and call your veterinarian. We contact your veterinarian references to ensure that current and/or deceased pets were properly taken care of; this includes being current on rabies, distemper, up to heartworm and flea/tick preventatives as well as yearly heartworm tests. We require all animals in the home to be either spayed/neutered. ***MMDR reserves the right to deny any applications that we deem unfit or unsuitable for the animal.
- Step Four: Meet and Greet. Once your application has been approved, you will be notified via e-mail. You then have 24 hours to respond. Dogs typically receive several applications, so we do expect applicants to schedule a meet and greet within 7 days of being approved. During the meet and greet, the fosters will tell you all about your potential new family member, and we encourage you to ask questions. We require that ALL people and dogs living in the home attend the meet and greet. We understand that work schedules may make this difficult, so you may need to schedule more than one meet. We do not schedule meet and greets with multiple applicants. Once you have completed the meet and greet, you have 24 hours to let us know your decision. If you should decide to pass, we would then move on to the next applicant.
- Step Five: Adoption!: All of our dogs are adopted on a one week trial (some dogs may have longer trials depending on their specific needs). Once you have completed the meet and greet and have decided to move forward with adoption, we will schedule a day for you to start your trial. At this time we will collect the adoption fee, and contract to hold during the trial. If you decide that the dog will be a good fit, we have everything we need to process the adoption. If the dog ends up not being a good fit for you, they will come back to the rescue and we will return your fee. We accept cash or check for adoption fees. Please remember that once everything is final, the adoption fee is NON-REFUNDABLE. Adoption fees fund our rescue efforts and supports the care of animals within MMDR while they are waiting to be adopted. Included in the adoption fee is a one hour training session with our trainer. Training sessions are only offered Monday-Friday and can vary. If you would like to take advantage of the session, your adoption coordinator will schedule this with you. Don’t forget, your relationship with MMDR doesn’t end here… we’re always available to answer any questions, give training recommendations, and we also love updates! Please join our closed Facebook group called “Misfit Mutts Dog Rescue Pupdates”.
- 12 months and under – $400*
- 13 months to 7 years – $350*
- 8-9 years – $250*
- Super Senior 10+ – $200* (includes senior blood panel)
*tax included in adoption fees